Well if you haven’t been keeping up with the latest madness, Boogy got kicked out of school on Monday. Principal let him stay until this Friday, while I decided what I am going to do about his schooling for the rest of the year. After going over my options and researching schools, I have decided to keep Boogy out of school for the duration of the school year.
My decision was based mostly on the fact that:
- There is only one month left in the school year in our county.
- Despite all our many efforts, He has already failed Kindergarten, there is no way he can make it up in a month at ANY SCHOOL.
- If I used the remainder of his scholarship at another private school, I would still have to purchase new books, new uniforms, pay a new application fee and registration fee. This would have amounted to $500-$800+ just for ONE MONTH at a new school in which there is no way he is going to pass on to the next grade. I’m sorry, but that just isn’t good financial or common sense.
- I also don’t think putting him in the neighborhood public school (WHICH SUCKS) would benefit him any either because:
- He is not going to pass to the next grade.
- He doesn’t deal with change well, AT ALL!
- Why torture my child with having to learn new rules, adjust to a new setting, new teachers, new friends for ONE MONTH?
In my opinion, it’s just not worth stressing the poor child out, because everyone else thinks it’s appalling that I would just pull my kid out of school all together.
So What Now?
Well, the principal gave me some contacts with the county public school district on getting him an IEP done. The contacts have already been made and the process already started. This is a very long drawn out process, which will probably take all summer (IF NOT LONGER). But, except for the occasional one or two day trips, I plan on sticking close to home this summer, so it really shouldn’t that big of an issue.
- Mental Health
I have also decided to take him to a neurologist to do some diagnostic testing, as well as put him back in therapy. Currently researching good options for both of those.
- Summer Homeschool?
Destructo will be in Summer VPK all summer long at a local preschool, so I have decided to work with Boogy at home. We will be doing mostly the Time4Learning curriculum and I will be supplementing with some workbooks, easy reader books, flash cards and other small projects I have found. I’m not sure how formal I will be about all of this. I have decided to just let him learn at his own pace. I’m at the point now where I am completely content with him “Getting it, when he get’s it.” I’m not worrying about enforcing some predetermined standard based on his age or grade level.
So What About Next School Year?
Well based on the outcome of 1-3 above, I will then make my final decision on whether or not I will continue homeschooling or enroll him in another private school. Both Boogy and Destructo have received scholarships to go to private school next year. The school that I really want Boogy to attend doesn’t accept kids until 1st Grade, so next year is out of the question. My second choice school does accept Kindergarten, however the closest campus with Kindergarten is like an 1.5 hr round trip commute EVERYDAY …2 times a day.…I really don’t see myself doing that EVERYDAY. There are many other schools that he can attend that will accept the scholarship, so I will tour them and do some research on them this summer.
It seems like I am being forced to home school
against my will. That adds another whole new challenge to my life. This means that I am going to have to manage my time a little better. But I Can Do ALL things through Christ, who gives me strength! This also means that I have to maintain (Honestly I need to raise) the income I make FROM HOME. God is going to have to send more ways to make money from home without it consuming my whole life. Or a second income via a HUSBAND…lol Or both!
You know any way you want to do it Lord! I don’t mind, I don’t mind! LOL
Well until next time guys!
Somebody please tell me I’m not the only person who has a Kindergartner who was kicked out of school? PLEASE