I am former foster parent, former foster parent recruiter, foster and adoptive parent trainer and I am an adoptive parent to my sons Benjamin and Darius.
I am also in the process of adopting from a little girl from Haiti. I started that process in February 2015 and it is expected to take another 18 months to 2 years before that adoption is complete.
I have already raised over $18,000 towards this adoption, but I still have many expenses to cover before my Haitian adoption is completely funded:
- Haiti Country Fee – $5900(apprx)
- Post Adoption Fees – $1350
- Visa – $325
- 2 week bonding trip (???)
- Homestudy Update (???)
- Trip to bring her home (???)
My Haitian adoption is really forcing me to trust God on a level I never have before. But little did I know he wasn’t through with me yet.
As if my faith wasn’t already being stretched enough through this first adoption….God with his big sense of humor, introduced me to another little girl in Africa in January 2016 that is in need of a family.
I just smiled and laughed it off, saying to myself, “Clearly, God could not be calling me to adopt AGAIN, while I am already in the midst of one adoption? Could he?” So I just brushed it off and God kept bringing this girl to my heart, until I finally inquired about what it would take to adopt her…
Well, I about near got knocked over when I found out what it would take! You see, the country that she is from just recently closed off adoptions to non-nationals UNLESS, you foster and live in the country for at least 1 year! Yes, you read that right. So clearly again, I asked, “Are you sure God?” But God gave me confirmation, after confirmation that it was to be…
Sooooooo…… Ben, Darius, and myself are moving to Africa!!!
We are praying to move by March 2017. This will be the beginning of our international missions work. While I am there, I will also be working with local NGOs and CBOs that assist vulnerable children. I am also making plans to start a non profit that focuses on orphan prevention, reunification and moving children in families, instead of orphanages. (Already started the paperwork) YAY! We would like to stay there beyond a year and eventually become full time missionaries.
But there are MANY things that have to be put into place before this can happen!
- EMPLOYMENT – I would need to secure employment first, either (1) in country, (2) remotely with a U.S. company, or (3) through a location independent business. I have done web design for years, so I am hoping to get more clients from that. I have been applying for positions for a few months now and I am just waiting for God to manifest the best one for me to be able to leave ASAP.
- PASSPORTS -I need to secure passports for Benjamin and Darius. I already got the photos done, just need to file for passports. – $210 ($105 each)
- VISAS – ??? Depends on type of job I will have
- IMMUNIZATIONS – $600 apprx ($200 each)
- FLIGHTS – $2500 – $4000 ( 3 one way tickets)
- LUGGAGE – ??? I will probably find something at a thrift store
- HOUSING – Thankfully the cost of living in Uganda is very reasonable and I will actually be saving lots of money once I get there. $200 – $600/month (Usually paid 6-12 months in advance) Depending on where we end up living. I want to move to a smaller city, but most of the jobs are in the capital city. I am frugal, so as long as it is safe, I am not looking to live anywhere fancy.
- UTILITIES (Electricity, Water, Internet, Phone) – ??? Will probably have 3 months saved, But this will be paid from my job/business.
- INTERNATIONAL HEALTH INSURANCE – ??? Still researching
- UGANDA ADOPTION FEES – Apprx $30,000. I will give a full break down when I have sign the contract with the chosen agency. It won’t be due all at one time, but I will more than likely need $10,000 to start. (GASP – I KNOW!!)